A GMO is a genetically modified organism. And while that acronym is flying around all over the place most people really don’t understand what it means or what the implications are. Basically, GMO products have had their DNA altered in a lab. Changing DNA might let the product last longer and resist pests, but it also can remove the nutrients that make it useful in the first place. We need to face the truth, GMOs are bad technology.
Stephen Collins, famous for his role on 7th Heaven, is a staunch supporter of organic and non-GMO food. This is a position the rest of us would do well to take. Since the consequences of altering the natural composition of plants and animals have not been conclusively revealed, it is safe to say that avoiding ingesting these things is in our best interest. However, we would like to share some reasons that GMOs are bad technology. Hopefully this will help you make healthier decisions for you and your family.
What’s Bad about GMOs?
Unfortunately, you are not always going to be able to tell which foods include the use of GMO products. However, you can begin looking for the non-GMO seal to help make those safer decisions. In the meantime, consider some of these reasons that GMOs are bad:
- GMOs increase the use of herbicides- That should sound wholly contradictory since they are supposed to be designed to be pest resistant. However, they are actually just more tolerant of the herbicides that will be sprayed on them due to the ever increasing resistance of the weeds that grow around them. Read more.
- GMO technological engineering institutes harmful side effects– Scientists are mixing unrelated genetics without any certainty how these genes will interact with one another. They are risking the production of new toxins, carcinogens, nutritional defects, and allergens.
- GMOs provide extensive contamination– Their seeds can travel and contaminate the areas in which they land. They could potentially ruin the livelihood of organic and non-GMO farmers who have been struggling to maintain pure crops. Learn more.
- GMOs injure the environment– GMOs are unsustainable and thanks to their excessive dependence on herbicides, animals and biodiversity on all fronts are in serious danger. The 50% decline in monarch butterfly existence is a prime example of the negative environmental consequences of GMO production.
- GMOs don’t help the hungry– While their inventors would like us to believe that crop yields are increased when GMOs are employed this has been proven to be a fallacy. In fact, some studies show that due to the variability of production rates, it is even possible that the crop yields declined when GMOs were used. Click this to read more about the situation.
- The government isn’t doing anything– The level of fraudulent activity occurring in the government due to the financial benefits attached to GMOs is almost hard to comprehend. Understand that the head of the FDA is the former vice president of Monsanto, one of the biggest liars in the biotech industry. Therefore, it is easy to see why GMOs are not required to undergo significant testing even when FDA scientists have determined that GMOs are unpredictable and result in very hard to detect consequences.
Stephen Collins is absolutely right to avoid ingesting GMOs and we should all probably take that cue from him. You can learn more about staying away from GMOs here.